Accredited Claims Adjuster or Certified Claims Adjuster?

What's The Difference?

In the insurance industry, a claims adjuster is responsible for investigating and evaluating insurance claims, determining the extent of coverage, and recommending payments to policyholders.

All individuals working as claims adjusters must have specific knowledge and skills, as well as a professional designation, to work in the industry. There are two terms, certified claims adjuster and accredited claims adjuster, are often used interchangeably in the industry but have differences.

Certified Claims Adjuster

A certified claims adjuster is a professional who has completed a specific course of study and has passed an examination to demonstrate their knowledge and competence in the field. The certification is typically offered by state regulatory agencies or industry associations and is required by some states for individuals who want to work as claims adjusters.

The requirements to become a certified claims adjuster may vary depending on the state or organization offering the certification. However, most programs cover topics such as insurance policies and coverage, claims investigation, negotiation, and settlement. Candidates are typically required to have a certain amount of experience working in the insurance industry before they can sit for the certification exam.

Once a person becomes a certified claims adjuster, they are recognized as having met certain standards of knowledge and competence in the field. They may have an advantage in the job market over candidates who do not hold this designation, and they may be able to negotiate higher salaries and better benefits.

insurance adjuster looking at car that was in accident

Accredited Claims Adjuster

An accredited claims adjuster is a professional who has completed a specific course of study, like our ACA course and has demonstrated their knowledge and competence through an assessment process. When an individual receives their accredited claims adjuster license they are obtaining it from an accredited institution such as a college or university. The accredited claims adjuster differs from the certified claims adjuster in that the certification for a certified adjuster is not from an accredited institution but rather from a state regulatory agency or industry association.

In Florida, our online course helps you achieve accreditation quickly. We are aligned with several colleges and universities in Florida and offer the accredited claims adjuster designation. Once individuals complete our course and pass our final exam, they will earn their Accredited Claims Adjuster designation, which will allow them to obtain their 6-20 Accredited Claims Adjuster License from the Florida Department of Financial Services (FLDFS.)

house fire with 3 firefighters putting out the fire

Once individuals become accredited or certified they can also look at joining the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC). The NAIC is a professional organization that provides professional development for state insurance regulators and industry professionals.

Both certified and accredited claims adjusters have demonstrated knowledge and competence in the insurance industry. However, the requirements and benefits associated with each designation may vary depending on the organization offering the program. It is important for individuals who are interested in becoming claims adjusters to research the state and specific industry requirements and benefits of each designation to determine which one is right for them.

For more information on how to earn your 6-20 Accredited Claims Adjuster designation and join this growing field, we invite you to contact our Clermont, Florida office at 1-800-309-2459 or read more about the accredited claims adjuster certification process on our website.

In Florida, once you earn your 6-20 accredited claims adjuster designation, you can apply to the state for your all-lines adjuster license. This will enable you to work on home insurance claims, auto and RV insurance claims and property insurance claims. You would have the flexibility to work as a staff claims adjuster or an independent insurance adjuster.

Grab the opportunity to learn more about

Start Your Course Today!